Candidates are evaluated[i] and given a recommendation based on their understanding of, and respect for, the following criteria:
The Proper Role of Civil Government
- God established civil government for our benefit to restrain evil and promote good.
- The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution was adopted to secure freedom of religion and the right to assemble. When the government compels individuals and organizations, especially with religious convictions, to act against their beliefs, the government is attacking these freedoms.[ii]
- Freedom of conscience is fundamental to liberty.[iii]
- The right to self-defense, as encapsulated in the Second Amendment, is the key to all the other rights as described in the Bill of Rights. Free speech, freedom of religion, freedom of assembly, and a free press are secured and kept secure by an armed citizenry.
- The Executive, Legislative and Judicial branches of government must limit themselves and each other to the authority the U. S. and Washington State Constitutions actually grants to them.
- Locally elected officials must operate within their jurisdictional authority.
The Value of Human Life
- God created man in His image. The first duty of civil government is the protection of that innocent human life from conception until natural death. When government sanctions abortion or euthanasia, it rejects God as Creator, puts all lives at risk, and leaves the land vulnerable to God’s judgment.
The Value of Marriage and Family for Individuals and Social Welfare
- The marriage of one man and one woman is the foundation of family, upon which all human society depends.
- Government has a duty to recognize and protect the family and cannot create alternative family structures with the same status and privileges.
- It is the fundamental right and responsibility of parents to direct the education of their children, and to decide what, when, and how their children are introduced to controversial subjects.
The Pursuit of Happiness and Personal Responsibility
- Responsible adults should seek to live responsibly and independently as free persons.
- The free and responsible use of private property and the free market system produce greater wealth and greater freedom for all members of society.
[i] “Moreover thou shalt provide out of all the people able men, such as fear God, men of truth, hating covetousness; and place such over them, to be rulers of thousands, and rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens…. “ Exodus 18:21
[ii] Webster’s 1828 Dictionary definition of Religion: Religion, in its most comprehensive sense, includes a belief in the being and perfections of God, in the revelation of his will to man, in man’s obligation to obey his commands, in a state of reward and punishment, and in man’s accountableness to God; and also true godliness or piety of life, with the practice of all moral duties. It therefore comprehends theology, as a system of doctrines or principles, as well as practical piety; for the practice of moral duties without a belief in a divine lawgiver, and without reference to his will or commands, is not religion.
[iii] Washington State Constitution, Section 11: Religious Freedom. Absolute freedom of conscience in all matters of religious sentiment, belief and worship, shall be guaranteed to every individual, and no one shall be molested or disturbed in person or property on account of religion; but the liberty of conscience hereby secured shall not be so construed as to excuse acts of licentiousness or justify practices inconsistent with the peace and safety of the state….